PROGRAM OF WINTER SPORTS

TRACK, HOCKEY, GYMNASTICS, FENCING, AND WRESTLING ALREADY STARTED.

For the benefit of men who desire to take part in some form of organized sport this winter, the following summary of the varied opportunities for athletic activity is given:

Track.

The regular winter track work will begin directly after the Christmas recess. Field event competitions, however, will be held in the Baseball Cage on Soldiers Field during this month on the following days: December 5, 16-pound shot-put; December 8, running high jump; December 15, 35-yard high-hurdles; December 21, pole-vault. Coach Quinn will have charge of the field event men in the Baseball Cage, while the track event men will practice under the direction of Coach Donovan on the board track which will be erected behind the Hemenway Gymnasium.

The B. A. A. meet will take place on February 10. The usual entries from the University and Freshman teams will be made, and certain men will also be entered in the track meets in the vicinity of Boston and in the New York Athletic Club meet. Nothing definite has been decided as yet in regard to the annual winter carnival. Regular outdoor practice will begin as soon as the weather permits.

Hockey.

The University hockey squad will practice four times a week in the Boston Arena under Coach A. Winsor '02. If possible a second team will also be formed, as in football and baseball, and a special insignia arranged for it. When the ground freezes, the two hockey rinks in the Stadium will be flooded and at that time the Freshman candidates will be called out. Immediately after the Christmas recess the scrub hockey teams will be organized, and soon afterward upper-class captains will be appointed.

Gymnastics.

The novice gymnastic meet will be held on December 15, and all men eligible are urged to enter it. This will probably be the only competition that will be held entirely within the University, although an open meet may be held at the close of the season. Dr. Sargent has offered a cup to the winner of the greatest number of points and medals will be given to the winners of the different events in the novice meet. After Christmas the University team will be chosen and will hold about twelve exhibitions and meets, including a triangular meet with Rutgers and Amherst, a dual meet with Yale, and the intercollegiate contest in March. Regular practice is now being held every afternoon in the Hemenway Gymnasium under the direction of Coach Evans.

Wrestling.

Sam Anderson, ex-world's champion middle-weight wrestler, will be in the Gymnasium every afternoon from 3.30 to 6 o'clock during the winter, beginning today, to give instruction to men who wish to take up wrestling. Although no outside meets have been planned, the members of the University wrestling as- sociation will arrange several impromptu meets among themselves, and men will be entered in the New England Amateur Wrestling Championships. Football line-men are especially advised to enter this kind of work.

Fencing.

The candidates for the fencing team are practicing under the instruction of M. Leslavay, fencing master to the French Army, on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays between 4 and 6 o'clock. Beginning after the Christmas recess the Fencers' Club will hold two meets a month during the winter. On the first Saturday of each month men are invited to take part in the B.A.A. fencing meets. The interclass tournament will be held in February and from it the University team will be chosen. The members of the winning team will be awarded the St. Gaudens cups. The University team will hold several important meets, closing its season with the intercollegiates which will be held in New York in March.

Rowing.

Candidates for the University and Freshman crews will commence regular rowing shortly after the mid-year period. Coach Wray, however, will be in the Newell boathouse beginning directly after the Christmas recess to help any candidates for the University or Freshman crews who report for voluntary work. Practice on the machines and in the tank will continue until the river is open. Coach Wray will have general supervision over all the crews and will coach the University and the first Freshman crews, while the rest of the Freshman squad will be under the control of Coach Stephenson.

Baseball.

Baseball practice for the University squad will commence in the Baseball Cage about March 1, and for the Freshman squad about February 1. The Freshman batteries will probably start work during the mid-year period and the University men somewhat later. Outdoor practice will begin as soon as the weather will permit.

Basketball.

There will probably be no interclass series in basketball this winter, but it is expected that several independent teams will be formed