AGASSIZ LECTURE AT EIGHT

In Sanders.--Sir John Murray on Distinguished Harvard Naturalist.

Sir John Murray, K.C.B., F.R.S., LL.D., D.Sc., Ph.D., will give a memorial address on "The Life and Scientific Works of Alexander Agassiz," in Sanders Theatre this evening at 8 o'clock. The public will be admitted to the lecture, but seats on the floor and in the first balcony will be reserved for members of the University and invited guests until 8 o'clock. No tickets will be required.

Sir John Murray is a well-known English naturalist and oceanographer. In 1872 be was appointed one of the naturalists on the famous "Challenger" expedition, which made scientific explorations in the Atlantic, Southern, and Pacific Oceans under the direction of the British Government. In May, 1873, the "Challenger" put in at Halifax, Nova Scotia, where Sir John and Alexander Agassiz first became intimately associated. In the sorting and reporting of the collection made on the "Challenger" expedition, the two men were again connected, and since then, until Agassiz's death in 1910, their friendship was most intimate.

Alexander Agassiz's relations with Harvard began with his graduation in 1855. In 1857 he received the degree of S.B. from the Lawrence Scientific School and in 1885 the degree of LL.D. from the University. The fortune which he amassed in the development of the Calumet and Hecla copper mines was spent in endeavors to advance zoological research. His gifts to the Harvard Museum of Comparative Zoology amounted to more than a million dollars. He was a member of the Board of Overseers from 1873 to 1878 and in 1885, and a Fellow of Harvard College from 1878 to 1884 and from 1886 to 1890.