Thomas Dwight '66.

Dr. Thomas Dwight '66, Parkman professor of anatomy in the Medical School, died at his summer home at Nahant, September 8. Dr. Dwight had been ill with cancer for some time and had been in a serious condition for two weeks.

Dr. Dwight was graduated from the Medical School in 1867. For two years he studied abroad with eminent specialists, and on his return established himself, as a practicing physician. During 1872 and 1873 he was instructor in comparative anatomy in Harvard, and from 1872 and 1876 he was lecturer and professor of anatomy at Bowdoin College. The period from 1874 to 1883 found him instructor in histology at Harvard, and upon the death of Oliver Wendell Holmes he succeeded him as Parkman professor of anatomy at the Medical School.

For five years from 1873, Dr. Dwight was editor of the Boston Medical Journal and in 1884 he gave a course of lectures at the Lowell Institute on "Mechanism of the Bone and Muscle." He had written much on medical subjects, and was the author of "Anatomy of the Head; the Intracranial Circulation," also numerous papers on human and vertebrate anatomy, which appeared in medical and scientific journals. He was given an LL.D. by Georgetown University in 1889.

During the seventies and eighties, Dr. Dwight served on several boards of public and pauper institutions of Boston, and from 1899 to 1908 he was a trustee of the Boston Public Library.

S. C. Lawrence '55.

General Samuel Crocker Lawrence '55 died at his home in Medford last Sunday evening at the age of 78.

General Lawrence entered the military service while yet a young man, and was commissioned lieutenant in the Massachusetts volunteer militia in 1855. He was made captain the following year, but resigned in 1857 on the occasion of his removal to Chicago. On his return to Medford he was recommissioned captain, in 1858; was commissioned major, 1859, and in 1860, colonel of the 5th regiment of Massachusetts militia, which was one of the first regiments in the country to volunteer for service when the war broke out in 1861. He was the first mayor of the city of Medford.

Gamaliel Bradford '49.

Gamaliel Bradford '49, prominently identified with the anti-slavery movement before the Civil War, died at his home August 21 as the result of being struck by a trolley car in Wellesley Hills.

Mr. Bradford prepared for college in the Boston Schools and was graduated from Harvard in 1849, at the age of ninement as clerk in the banking house of Blake Brothers & Company of Boston. He advanced steadily until 1858, when he was admitted as a partner and remained a member of the concern until 1868 when he retired from active business and devoted himself to the study of political science and the theory and practice of modern popular government, especially in its relation to the United States in Federal, State and municipal affairs.

Thomas Hall '93.

Thomas Hall '93, assistant professor of English, died at the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Md., where he went on August 7 for treatment for a tumor. An operation was performed from which he failed to rally.

Thomas Hall prepared for College at the Noble and Greenough School Boston and was graduated from Harvard in the class of '93. While studying for his degree of Ph.D. he was asked by the authorities of the College to take up teaching, which he did, and he had been instructor in English ever since.

W. T. Piper '74.

W. T. Piper '74 died of tonsilitis at the Massachusetts Homoeopathetic Hospital in Boston, of which he was a trustee, July 25, after an illness of two weeks.

Mr. Piper was graduated from the Boston Latin School and Harvard University, class of 1874, and took a post-graduate course at Trinity College in Cambridge, England. He served two years in the Cambridge Common Council and one year as alderman and from 1891 until the new charter was adopted as member of the School Committee. He also served two years as trustee of the Cambridge Public Library.

He was director of the Cambridge Trust Company and president of the Avon Home for Children. He belonged to the Colonial Society of Massachusetts, the New England Historic Genealogical Society, the Union Club of Boston, and the Oakley Country Club.

William G. Babcock '41.

Rev. W. G. Babcock '41, one of the two surviving members of that class, died at his home in Dorchester July 30, from debility due to old age. He was 91 years old. Mr. Babcock, although active up to a few weeks ago, had suffered from a fall which he had about a year ago and death was due to the weakening effect of the injuries received at that time. At his birthday reception, June 1, the old gentleman was apparently in fine health, but since that day his decline had been rapid.

W. G. Babcock entered the English High School at the age of twelve and was graduated in 1835. At Harvard he was a classmate of Thomas Wentworth Higginson. He received honors both in the College and in the Divinity School, from which he was also graduated.

His first pastorate was in Providence, in 1844, where he stayed until 1847, the year of his marriage, when he moved to Lunenburg. Afterwards he had parishes in Harvard, South Natick, and Scituate. In 1865 he was called to the Warren Street Chapel in Boston, succeeding Rev. Charles F. Barnard of the Harvard class of 1828. After eighteen years there he took up duties at the Appleton Street Chapel, giving up his work because of deafness in 1869. He had lived in Dorchester since 1877. In early life he was a friend of Rev. William Ellery Channing.

George Faulkner '44.

Dr. George Faulkner '44, one of the old-time physicians of Jamaica Plain, died at his home on August 27 at the age of ninety-two years. He had been retired from active practice for a number of years.

George Faulkner received instruction at the academies in Billerica and in Westford, and at the age of fifteen he entered a store in Boston. Becoming dissatisfied with trade, he abandoned this line after three years, and devoted himself to study. He spent a year and a quarter at the academy at Leicester, and one year at Phillips Exeter Academy, and entered Harvard with his class as a Freshman. During his College life he taught school each winter.

Upon his graduation he went to Keene, N. H., and spent one year with the famous surgeon, Dr. Amos Twichell, completing his medical studies in Boston.