ATHLETICS AND COLLEGE STUDIES.

One of the most unfortunate features of athletics at Harvard lies in the fact that every year good men are kept from competing on our teams because of low standing in college studies. There is not the slightest doubt in the mind of any sane individual but that the College office is doing its plain duty in rigorously enforcing the rule that, to take part in college athletics, undergraduates shall be required to maintain a certain standard in their curriculum work. Although Harvard men are perfectly well aware that such a rule exists and is enforced, every year there appear to be some who fail to realize its true significance until actually debarred from representing the University on an athletic team. An athlete who allows himself to indulge in any loose thinking as to the finality of the rules requiring satisfactory standing in studies on his part is not only doing himself a grave injustice, but is open to the charge of being disloyal to Harvard. The mid-year examinations are less than two weeks away. If a man is near the probation mark there is still time to make good. It may demand a sacrifice, but half-hearted and spiritless attempts are of no avail. By really conscientious efforts, any man can keep off probation. It is upon such conscientious efforts among those who are to be candidates for all the major and minor teams this spring that our success in athletics and particularly against Yale depends.