Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

Communication

[We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest. The CRIMSON is not, however, responsible for the sentiments expressed in such communications as may be printed]

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Through the CRIMSON I wish to make public the following summary of an agreement, which, as an administrative officer of the College, I individually have made with representatives of the undergraduate members of the so-called Med. Fac. Society.

The present undergraduate members of the Society agree to cease entirely from all of their former activities; to make certain restitution of University property; to use their best efforts, collectively and individually, to suppress the Society forever; to sign, individually, the agreement containing these terms, which are to be made public. On the other hand, the present undergraduate members are not to be held responsible for any future conduct of past members in regard to the re-establishment of the Society; the knowledge gained by the College office of the membership of the Society is not to be used against the men individually, and is not in any way to affect their College standing; the signed agreement is to be seen by the President of the University, the Dean of the Faculty, and the Dean of the College only; Benjamin Joy is not to be expelled, and is to be allowed to take his final examinations. "The degree cannot be granted to Joy as long as his case is before the Court. If his case is finally disposed of, abandoned, nol prossed, or placed on file, the Dean has every hope that his degree will be granted him 'as of' the Class of 1905."

All of the undergraduate members of the Society, with the approval of certain graduates, have signed this agreement, but their signatures I have refrained from seeing because my personal agreement cannot bind either the Faculty or the undergraduates. I hope, however, that both bodies will accept this solution. It has been adopted only after the most careful consideration by other officers of the University, by graduates, and by undergraduates, united in their love for their College, and their desire to secure her well being.

I wish publicly to thank the graduates and undergraduates who have helped in arranging this solution, and especially Mr. J. M. Groves, Mr. Roger Derby, and Mr. Raymond Oveson. Yours sincerely.,   B. S. HURLBUT.   4 University Hall,   Cambridge, May 27, 1905:.