OPERA AGAIN.

A very enlightening suggestion on the question of making the opera more often within the means of Harvard students appears in a communication signed by Henry S. Thompson '99, in the last Alumni Bulletin. Mr. Thompson's plan is "that a dozen or so musical, literary and dramatic societies now within the University take up the matter seriously with the view of raising a fund, the income of which would reserve a certain number of seats to be disposed of to members of the University at reasonable prices."

It appeared to us that such societies as the Dramatic Club, the Musical Club, the Pierian Sodality and the various language clubs should be exactly the organizations to take the initiative.

If these organizations could raise a fund large enough to be a permanent endowment, they would be doing a great service. We question whether the execution of such a scheme is now within their power. If, however, these organizations would appropriate a given sum from their treasuries to reduce the price of tickets when a group of at least ten or twelve of their members should go in a body, they should be able to do much to foster an interest in opera. If such a plan were successful it would become a regular part of the activities of these clubs to attend opera in a body once in so often.

Preparatory to such an occasion it would be very simple to get a man familiar with the opera in question to give a short talk with selections of the music. This would enable the men to understand and appreciate the pierce far more than if they went to it with no previous familiarity. If several organizations undertook such a plan, it might be possible that a Harvard delegation should be at the Opera House once a week or more often. Preparatory lectures could be given under different auspices before each opera but open to all. By securing a number of seats together for a given evening through the season, to be used by the various clubs, it might even be possible to secure a reduction in price from the opera company.

To put such a plan into operation it might be necessary to raise the dues of these clubs a small amount. But since the members would themselves secure all the advantage, this should be a small hardship. The announcement might, on the other hand, have the effect of materially increasing a club's membership.