NEW LAUNCH FOR CREWS

Specially Designed Craft Will Embody Many Interesting Features.

The Harvard Rowing Committee, under the chairmanship of Mr. R. F. Herrick '90, contracted with A. P. Homer, of Boston, for the purchase of a new launch of unique design especially planned for crew coaching. It will be constructed by the Bath Marine Construction Company, in whose offices the plans were drawn. The launch is to be a V-bottomed boat 30 feet by 5 feet 6 inches, equipped with a four-cylinder 18-25 H.P. Sterling engine of the most improved type, including among other accessories a Bosch magneto and a rear starter, the guaranteed speed being 16 miles an hour.

On the forward deck will be an especially constructed sliding rowing-seat for Coach Wray, from which he can demonstrate to the men in the shell alongside. Immediately behind this will be the forward cockpit with a seat for two people. In the compartment just behind this seat the engine will be placed with the operator's cockpit aft. The seat in this cockpit is for the engineer, who has, in past years, been in charge of the old launches, "Veritas" and "John Harvard." These older boats have been in service about 15 years and will continue to be used. They are both about 60 feet long, however, and draw so much water that they cannot be run very close to shore. The new boat will draw much less water and is so constructed as to have the least possible wash in its wake.

The contract calls for delivery of the new launch by May 1, but it will probably be ready shortly after April 15, and can be put to immediate use in the spring coaching of the crews. The boat will be paid for by money collected through subscriptions.