CREW TAKES EASY TIME ROW

UNIVERSITY EIGHT SENT OVER FULL DISTANCE.--GOOD FORM AT FINISH.

Harvard Training Quarters, Red Top, New London, Conn., June 7, 1912.--The University eight was given an easy time row over the full course here this afternoon, doing the four miles in 21 minutes and 22 seconds with a favoring wind and tide. Coach Wray sent the crew across the starting line off Red Top about 5.30 o'clock, rowing a stroke of 28 to the minute. This was maintained until the last half-mile, when Newton raised it to 36 for a hard finish. For the first two miles the work of the men was a little below standard. They were not loose and easy enough on their recovery and consequently were slow in catching the water, which fault resulted in a marked checking of the progress of the shell between strokes. During the last two miles of the trial, however, considerable improvement was shown in this respect, and the men when called upon by Coach Wray for a high stroke, spaced out excellently, nearly as well as at a low stroke.

Work in the morning consisted of two fast half-miles in one of which the Freshman eight raced the University and was defeated by a scant length. The three four-oared crews were also given a brush over a mile course.