FOOTBALL SEASON COMMENCES

UNIVERSITY TEAM COMPOSED OF MANY NEW MEN WILL PLAY MAINE AT 3 O'CLOCK.

There have been two weeks of practice to prepare the University football team for its first game of the season with a team from the University of Maine. The game will be called in the Stadium at 3 o'clock. Season tickets and H. A. A. membership tickets will admit to the stands, as well as tickets which will be sold at the gate.

The second week's practice closed with comparatively light work, there being no hard scrimmaging betwen the teams which lined up against each other. The second team was not called upon to work against the University squad at all, but shifting teams of men on the first squad were put against one another for practice in running through signals and formations against a defence. Felton and H. Hardwick were pitted against one another in the punting duel which took up most of the afternoon's work. They both got off some fine kicks of 50 yards and averaged at least 40 yards on every kick. The backs handled the ball well but almost always were surrounded by the offensive ends; and, as last year, Storer was not among the last to get down the field under punts.

Forward Passes and Field Goals.

The forward pass was given a long try-out during the afternoon and worked with fairly satisfactory results. Gardner succeeded in passing to Milholland, who could have made a touchdown had the teams been playing to score. There was no one between him and the goal line. Gardner also succeeded in making two passes to Weatherhead, each netting about 20 yards.

Some time was also given to drop-kicking, Brickley, Logan, and Wendell all taking tries at it. The two latter succeeded in getting one goal each from the 35-yard line. Captain Wendell was in the line-up of the light scrimmage for the first time this season.

Maine's Team.

The team which comes to Cambridge this afternoon has played one game this season, defeating Fort McKinley 38 to 0. That was last Saturday, and the game played was one of the old style of football in which most of the gains were made by rushing. The Maine line is composed of men combining weight and speed, and who have been trained to work well together. The team has not played in Cambridge for several years, Bates having taken its place, and today it comes to Cambridge prepared to give the University team a hard rub.

University Line-up.

The men who will go into the University team today are men who as a whole have had little experience in University football. Felton will play at his old position of left end and will probably be called upon to do most of the punting. His work in all departments of the game is excellent and it is fortunate that he will be able to play the entire season. Next to him at tackle will be another veteran, Storer, who won his letter last year after playing a remarkably versatile game at centre and tackle. His greatest success is in getting down the field under punts with the ends and making a sure tackle of the runner. Driscoll, who will play left guard, is a new man on the team, but has been showing up very well in the scrimmages of the past week. His first real try-out will come this afternoon. Parmenter, weighing 185 pounds and fast in charging, will play at centre where he won his letter last year. Unless something unusual happens, this will be his regular position during the season. Pennock, on Parmenter's right, played on the Freshman team last year and has yet to prove his value on the first eleven, though his work in practice has been good. Next to him is found a veteran in Hitchcock, who played a hard, smashing game last fall and is not below his best form this year. On his right is another 1915 man, Weatherhead, who has been showing ability of late in receiving forward passes.

Wendell Will Not Play.

The backfield will do without the services of Captain Wendell in today's game but will nevertheless be a strong aggregation. Gardner will start at quarterback, where he has had experience for two years on the University eleven. He will be depended upon to put a great deal of snap into the team today, and should use the forward pass to good advantage, as he has been practicing it a good deal in the scrimmages of the week. The rest of the backfield will be composed of men from the 1915 team. Brickley and Bradlee will play at halfback and H. Hardwick at fullback. All of these men are heavy and fast, and are developing into sure ground gainers. Brickley, in addition, is a good drop-kicker, and Hardwick is rivaling Felton in his punts. Bradlee succeeds best in line plunging and interfering.

The line-ups:

UNIVERSITY.  MAINE.Felton, l.e.  r.e., BernhersellStorer, l.t.  r.t., BigelowDriscoll, l.g.  r.g., GulliverParmenter, c.  c., BakerPennock, r.g.  l.g., SawyerHitchcock, r.t.  l.t., RuffnerWeatherhead, r.e.  l.e., DonahueGardner, q.b.  q.b., BryantBrickley, l.h.b.  r.h.b., MartinBradlee, r.h.b.  l.h.b., CarletonH. Hardwick, f.b.  f.b., Shepher