REVIEW BY PROF, JOHNSON

"Engineering Journal."--Possibilities of Forestry School, by Professor Fisher.

The Harvard Engineering Journal for January is a number all of whose articles are of interest to the general reader as well as to men in engineering.

The opening article by Professor R. T. Fisher '98, is of value as setting forth to Harvard men the extraordinary possibilities of the Harvard School of Forestry, particularly in its work in the fine tract of woodland, the Harvard Forest in Petersham.

Mr. John P. Crosadale, of Philadelphia, next, under the title "Patents for Invention," gives an interesting account of some principles of patent law--a topic to which engineers as well as the public at large are likely soon to be giving the greater attention it deserves.

Lucien Wulsin, Jr., '10, contributes an illustrated article entitled "Mining in Alaska--a Business Point of View." He explains some of the possibilities and difficulties besetting mine development in Alaska, and speaks of the desirability of capital entering this region. It would be interesting to have him enlarge on this point, and make his recommendations clearer.

The next article is "The Growing Science of Efficiency," by Holbrook F. J. Porter, reprinted from "Business America," October number. He gives a readable account of the meaning, scope, and progress of a subject now justly arousing great interest. Like the general run of such writers and speakers, he seems entirely oblivious of the fact that the science of efficiency has a field of application in the field of what the economists call the distribution of wealth, as well as in the production of wealth. We can already produce far more efficiently--poorly as we may do it still--than we can see the product safely, and finally into the hands of him to whom it justly belongs. The latter phase of the problem would certainly seem to be worth careful, constructive, and earnest attention. Moreover, it could hardly fail to increase production at the same time that it secured juster distribution of the results.

The rest of the number is given up to the usual interesting collection of general news regarding the School of Engineering, and allied schools and scientific societies, together with personal notes regarding graduates