GIVE LAST LECTURES TODAY

Professors Palmer and Peabody End Their Teaching at the University After Long Service.

Professor George Herbert Palmer '64, Alford Professor of Natural Religion, Moral Philosophy, and Civil Polity, will deliver what he expects to be his last lecture as an instructor in the University when he lectures at the last meeting of Philosophy. A this afternoon in New Lecture Hall at 1.30 o'clock. After 43 years of continuous service, Professor Palmer expects to retire in June when he has completed the course of lectures which he is to give as Harvard Exchange Professor to western colleges during the second half-year. The subject of the lecture will be the same at he has always chosen for closing Philosophy A, "The Culmination of Greek Philosophy in Christianity."

Professor Palmer has been known to hundreds of students in his two popular courses, Philosophy A and Philosophy 4, the former one of the best known courses in the University, and the latter the course which Owen Wister '82 described, the old Philosophy 4. Professor Palmer's writings have included "Self-cultivation in English," selections from which have long been used in English A, and "The Life of Alice Freeman Palmer."

A year ago Professor Palmer intended to resign and was only dissuaded from so doing at President Lowell's urgent request that he remain another year and undertake the western exchange professorship. Professor Palmer will have reached his seventy-first birthday in March.

Professor Francis Greenwood Peabody '69, Plummer Professor of Christian Morals, will also deliver his last class lecture in the University today, in his course known as Social Ethics 20a. With this lecture he completes thirty-eight years of service on the University Faculty. He became Parkman Professor of Theology in 1881, and after serving in this chair for five years, he was made Plummer Professor of Christian morals. He was Acting Dean of the Divinity School in 1885-6, and Dean from 1901 to 1905. He served as Overseer from 1877 to 1882. He is the author of a number of widely known writings.