THE GAME.

Battered down by the unparalleled endurance of Harvard's team and bewildered by the unerring accuracy of Harvard's drop-kicker, Yale has tasted defeat in the Stadium. Every man in whose veins flows Crimson blood rejoices in the triumph of the 1913 University football team. Never was a cleaner, harder, or more finished game of football seen on any field, than that of the team which Saturday indelibly wrote its name in Harvard history. The spectacle of that eleven, outplaying Yale at almost every moment, backed by the enthusiasm of ten thousand Harvard men, was the climax of a season of Harvard spirit and success such as this college generation, at least, cannot recall. From whistle to whistle the watchword was "Fight," and Harvard is proud of a team that could honorably represent her with this motto.

And so the Crimson takes the responsibility of giving to the team of 1913, as from Harvard undergraduates, a vote of deep gratitude for what it accomplished. To Coach Haughton we give our thanks for a service of six years which have been marred by but a single defeat by Yale and have seen three Harvard victories over her greatest rival. Seniors, who have never, as undergraduates, seen a defeat at the hands of the Blue, realize through what an enviable four years they have lived: Sophomores, who have seen nothing but Crimson triumphs, must feel a spirit of Harvard stealing over them, such as was never known before.

As for Yale; it is little consolation to say that hers was a game fight against a better team. Harvard, however, appreciates the fairness of her play, her fierce, though vain, attempts to square old scores, and above all the fighting spirit with which the team and its supporters accepted defeat.