Comment on the Yale Game

The Yale News prints the following article on the game last Saturday:

"After the Crimson sunset has faded into the dusk, something can now be heard of the University football team. Its season, with three tie games and two defeats, has of course been too pitifully unsuccessful for the people to call "satisfactory." In points, the team lost to Harvard by a considerable margin. Of losing teams, gratitude, often frigid, is the usual consolation. But in Captain Ketcham's eleven every man of Yale takes just and exultant pride. Its struggle from impotence against Colgate to excellence against Princeton has never been surpassed by any Yale team. Its playing against perhaps the best football machine that ever represented Harvard brought more honor to Yale than many an actual victory over inferior Harvard teams. Its fight Saturday, though of course "unsatisfactory," was a magnificent embodiment of something implied in the word Yale. In the memory of that fight, engraved upon the minds of even the Harvard spectators, the bitterness of defeat vanishes.

"Captain Ketcham ended a most enviable football career by brilliant and spirited playing and, like him, the other members of the team gave every atom of their strength. In technique Yale's playing was a tribute to the excellent coaching of Mr. Howard Jones. A second year under such competent instructions with the same irrepressible enthusiasm among all undergraduates and graduates will give Yale a football season that is really "satisfactory.