MANY ELECTIONS AT NEW HAVEN

Letter from News Summarizer Events of Week--Minor Sports Begin.

This week has been marked by elections and the beginning of the minor sports season at Yale. On Monday, active track work began with the pole-vaulters in the gymnasium, the mile and two-mile men at the Field, while the relay men reported to Captain Brown in the Cage. Candidates for hockey were also called out, and the selection of Thomas Howard as coach announced. Basketball men reported at the gymnasium in response to Captain Swihart's call. Freshman swimmers began work at the pool.

It was announced that $1500 is to be raised among the students for the purpose of installing a new engine on the boat "Yale" of Dr. Grenfell's, which was the gift of the students of Yale a few years ago. The second Whiting recital was given on Monday in Lampson Lyceum.

Tuesday was a day of elections. At a banquet held in Hotel Taft, the members of the university eleven elected N. S. Talbott '15 captain of the 1914 team. W. H. Gardiner '16 was chosen captain of the golf team, while C. E. Clark '15 will lead next year's cross-country men.

Wednesday it was announced that as a result of the Rhodes Scholarship examinations five Yale men qualified. Professor von der Leyen gave the seventh of his series of lectures. Professor H. C. Emory debated with W. E. Walling on the subject of "Socialism vs. Private Property.

Prom Rules Satisfy Juniors

Thursday found the juniors happy over the revision of the Prom rules which allows the guests to arrive on Sunday and the German to last until 4 A. M. No breakfasts or dawn teas will be permitted--however. Mr. and Mrs. Hadley gave a reception for Mr. and Mrs. W. S. Kendall at the Yale School of Fine arts where an exhibition of Mr. Kendall's paintings is being held. Mr. Kendall has recently been appointed director of the Yale School of Fine arts.

The most important event of Friday was the election of the 1914 Prom committee. Those chosen are: H. A. Marting A. M. Hammer, R Osborn, R. S. Cooney, L. M. Marks and E. D. Davis. Haskell Noyes was announced as the basketball coach for this season. On Saturday, the make-up of the debating team against Syracuse was made public; it consists of the following men: P. O. Badger '15, J. F. Collins '15, L. S., J. D. Robb '15, and C. Bennett '15, alternate.

The opinion of 41 seniors on the much mooted question of a Yale Union was found to be 30 ayes and 11 nays. Considerable interest is felt on the subject of a possible Union. The Rev. Lyman Abbott, D.D., of New York City, preached at Battell Chapel Sunday morning and addressed meeting in Dwight Hall in the evening.