GODKIN LECTURES ANNOUNCED

Mr. Herbert D. Croly '90 to Speak on "Democracy and Responsibility" in April and May.--Topics.

The Godkin Lectures for 1912-13, on "Democracy and Responsibility, win be delivered by Mr. Herbert David Croly '90, of Windsor, Vt., the five lectures to be given during April and early May, in Emerson J, at 8 o'clock. They will be open to the public.

Godkin Lecture Endowment.

The Godkin Lectures are delivered under an endowment given to the University in 1903 by the friends of Edwin L. Godkin, late editor of the "Nation," as a memorial of his long and distinguished service to the country of his adoption. The income of the fund is devoted to the delivery and publication of annual lectures on "The Essentials of Free Government and the Duties of the Citizen," or upon some part of that subject. The lectureship was inaugurated in 1904 by the Rt. Hon. James Bryce, whose subject was "The Study of Popular Governments."

Dates and Topics of Lectures.

Mr. Croly, who will deliver the lectures this year, is author of "The Promise of American Life" and other well-known books. He has announced the following dates and topics: April 23, "New Tendencies in Democracy"; April 25, "The Old Democracy and the Constitution"; April 28, "The New Democracy and the Constitution"; April 30, "Direct versus Representative Government"; May 2, "The Mechanism of Popular Representation."