CHALLENGE TO ENGLISHMEN

FINAL FORM OF INVITATION WILL PROBABLY BE CONSIDERED TOMORROW.

A provisional invitation to the Oxford and Cambridge University track teams was sent to New Haven two weeks ago and was returned Monday with several additions and changes. The wording as it now stands is not entirely satisfactory. As returned from Yale the invitation provides for a meet with Oxford and Cambridge at the Stadium on June 19 with a return meet in London next year. In addition it is provided that an exchange of visits in successive years shall take place after every three intervening years.

Dissatisfaction is felt by the University management with the binding provision in the invitation. It is felt that for the present the exchange of visits should be provisory in case the plan does not prove entirely feasible. That the meet will take place this year in Cambridge is practically decided though the date, June 19, may be changed to a later day, as June 19 is thought too early for the Englishmen. The final terms of the invitation will probably be settled tomorrow when the track managements of Harvard and Yale will confer either here or at New Haven. The number of men entered in each event is limited to two men from each country as in past agreements, with the exception that in the mile and two-mile runs the home country may enter three or four men.