ATHLETIC CONTESTS TODAY.

Today there compete against Harvard on the track and river representatives of three great universities -- Cornell, Pennsylvania, and Princeton. It is seldom that two such athletic events are scheduled for the same day, and to the lover of clean, hard sport nothing can be more pleasing than to welcome these visitors to Cambridge.

The dual meet with Cornell is the first ever held with that University and the games promise to be not only closely contested but also very fast. The Cornell team is built around the incomparable Captain Jones, and in the meet with Michigan last Saturday demonstrated its strength and versatility. While the Harvard team has no exceptional individual performers, it has already proved its strength in at least one department by winning the intercollegiate cross-country run last fall. This spring the team has enjoyed unusually favorable weather conditions, and the records in practice show that it is an organization well trained and with well distributed strength which Captain Cummings leads today against our new opponent.

Pennsylvania is the new factor in the race upon the Charles. As to the relative strength of the crews we have only knowledge based upon speculation. For all of the crews this is the first race of the year. Princeton is heavier and apparently more powerful than last year when they made a plucky fight against Cornell and Harvard. Pennsylvania though necessarily an almost unknown quantity is nevertheless dangerous. In mere speculation the chances for a Harvard victory seem the brightest. Much remains of the splendid strength of last year and under the inspiring leadership of Captain Abeles and Coach Wray the crew is developing a finish which makes it not unreasonable to hope for the intercollegiate championship.

But aside from sport itself there is another important aspect in the athletic contests which will take place today. A fortunate precedent has been established in entertaining the Princeton and Pennsylvania crews in the Senior Dormitories during the last few days. Today's contestants will go home feeling that they carry with them the good-will of Harvard University.