"NEW NATIONALISM" IN ATHLETICS.

"The mile-walk was Harvard's." We were glad to hear that. But we didn't quite agree that "by far the most exciting event of the afternoon was the two-mile bicycle race" because everyone was agreed that excitement ran most high when "Columbia pulled Pennsylvania 8 inches in the tug-of-war."

It was only back in the nineties that the above phrases appeared in the CRIMSON reports of the Mott-Haven games, which corresponded to our present intercollegiate meets. They indicate some changes in track athletics, but hardly the most striking of the developments. Today the thirty-eighth annual track and field meeting of the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America attracts instead of seven, twenty-seven colleges sending in over twelve hundred entries. The men come from every part of the country and this year the west is unusually prominent. Nothing could demonstrate more clearly than this the rapid progress and development of intercollegiate athletics in the last few years unless indeed, it be the fact that no less than 18 of the 23 present records have been made or equalled since 1902.

By all odds the most significant feature of the present meet is the entrance of the California team. For some time Michigan has taken active interest in eastern athletics and the appearance of these men from the Far West brings that section of the country into still closer contact with the East. The CRIMSON looks forward to the time when the Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America shall be all that the name implies, including in its organization not only the northeastern Colleges but also those from the southern and western states. Present developments point to one outcome--the nationalization of intercollegiate athletics.

Today is the:

Last day for receiving applications for scholarships for 1913-14 in the Law School.

Last day for receiving applications for scholarships in 1913-14 in the Graduate School of Business Administration.

Last day upon which candidates for degrees which carry a graduation fee may give notice that they have abandoned their candidacy for the degree.