THE BOTTOM OF THE CAVERN.

Everyone admits that the system of Concentration and Distribution has its faults. Some, especially members of the class of 1914 who entered when it was a deep mystery to all but a chosen few rail against it as so much ineffectual red tape.

It is decidedly weak as the communication printed elsewhere indicates, in demanding a final choice of a special field for College work from Freshmen, often incompetent to judge; and it recognizes this weakness by allowing changes of decision, when the reasons seem sufficient. Cumbrous and disagreeable as it may seem to its critics, they must remember that it accomplishes--however much vacillation it may permit--three ends: specialization in one group to the extent of six courses; distribution in the three other groups to the extent of six courses; and a pretty careful reflection by students over their choice. The first means that every graduate of Harvard has a fairly thorough conception of the relations, laws, and effects of one subject. At least it is not the present system's fault if he has not. The second insures a breadth of work most valuable, perhaps, to those to whom it is most distasteful. The third prevents the blind, haphazard plunging into the University grab bag for the first four courses which come to hand.

Unfortunately men were not created paragons; fortunately for their interest in life, they were not created alike. What helps one may hinder another; and the ideal of a college system is that which will hinder the strong man least, and help the weaker men most. Concentration and Distribution, in holding many up to a certain standard, may be a real hindrance to a few; but criticisms of it have risen chiefly, we believe, not from this cause, but from a failure to distinguish between a real hindrance and an inconvenience, such as any set of rules and especially a new set occasions.