HAPPENINGS OF WEEK AT YALE

Rowing Committee Appointed and Freshmen Called Out.--Rink Ready for Princeton Game.

New Haven, Conn., January 27, 1913.--The crew management of the University has arranged a triangular race to be rowed with Cornell and Princeton over a two-mile course at Ithaca, May 23. Eighty men from the classes of 1917S. and 1916 reported at the first meeting of the Freshman crew candidates on Monday. Captain Denegre introduced Mr. Richard Armstrong, the new supervisor of rowing, who spoke on what was expected of the Freshmen. The average weight of the men who reported is 159 pounds, and the average height 5 feet, 10 1-2 inches.

The rowing committee for the coming season has been chosen as follows: F. W. Allen '09 chairman; P. Whitney '98; J.M. Guetchins '95; G. Blagden '01; J. Greenleaf '00; A. Cowles '86; R. Armstrong '95; and W. A. Harriman '13. This is nearly the same committee that has had charge of Yale's rowing for two seasons, and their reappointment and acceptance indicates that they have willingly abandoned the English system.

Elections of Record and News.

The 1915 Record board has organized as follows: Chairman, C. A. Merz, 1915, of Sandusky, Ohio. Art Editor, G. S. Patterson, 1915, of Montgomery, Ala. Advertising Manager, J. S. Butler, 1915, of Dorraneetown, Pennsylvania. Editors, S. T. Haddock, Jr., 1915S., W. R. Tuttle 1915, W. A. Robertson 1915, F. W. Tuttle 1915. The 1915 board goes into office directly after the Record banquet on Tuesday, March 17.

The News announces the election to the board of M. W. Thompson '16S. and of N. M. Graves '16S. These men deserve special honor for having won the best Sheff. competition in the history of the paper.

Flowers are not to be worn by either girls or chaperons at the Prom. or at the German, as in former years.

Friday was the first day of the examinations which will continue until the end of this week. They will be followed by a recess from the first of February until the fifth.

Private School Men Predominate.

In the undergraduate departments of the University there are 260 men from Andover, 219 from New Haven High School, 152 from Hotchkiss, 103 from Hill, 82 from Exeter, 62 from Taft, and 56 from St. Paul's School, Concord. There are 739 from high schools and 1485 from private schools.

On Saturday evening the skating rink had its formal opening in an exhibition game between the St. Nicholas team of New York and Yale. Fully two thousand people witnessed the opening of the rink. Between the halves of the game there was an exhibition of fancy skating. The gallery has not yet been finished, but the whole rink will be completed for the Princeton game tomorrow.

Under the auspices of the University Dramatic Association Annie Russell's Old English Comedy Company gave two performances, "The School for Scandal," and "She Stoops to Conquer" last Tuesday evening. On Wednesday evening the Kneisel Quartet gave its first concert of the season. The 1914 Class votes have been compiled. Cornish was voted most popular and best all-round athlete, Ketcham was voted to be most admired, and Bishop the most original.