THE SUBSTITUTE.

Article V, section 3, of the Rules Governing Athletic Sports at Harvard contains the following provision: "Such substitutes on the baseball and football teams, or crew, as shall be designated by the captain of the team or crew, and approved by the Graduate Treasurer, may use the letters H.A.A." So far as we know no insignia has been granted under this rule. At present the baseball or football substitute classed neither with the first team nor the second, though of more ability than the second team man who wins an "H2nd," receives no recognition; the member of the second four-oared crew, in spite of working down to the eve of the Yale race, receives none--a condition very evidently unfair.

But the letters "H.A.A.", some will object, by long association have come to be looked on as peculiar to track. We beg, then, to recall the days when the "H" was awarded to the first four-oared crew only in case of victory on the Thames, and the "H.U.B.C." in the event of defeat; and suggest that separate insignia for substitutes be established in each sport--perhaps "H.F." in football, "H.B." in baseball, "H.U.B.C." as formerly in crew, and "H.H.T." in hockey, for since hockey has ascended to a seat among the majors it should be included. The form of insignia is a detail, however; of real importance is a material recognition of some sort for the substitute.