TEAM THREE TIMES DEFEATED

HOCKEY SEVEN COULD NOT REGISTER MORE THAN ONE VICTORY ON TRIP.

At first sight the result of the training trip of the University hockey team do not appear to be particularly encouraging as it resulted in two defeats by Ottawa University, 2 to 0 and 3 to 0, and a split-even with the Syracuse Hockey Club, the first game being won by the University 5 to 2 and the second lost 2 to 1. The team-work of the University forwards was for the most part good; although the shooting was weak; the defense withstood attack very well, but seemed unable to take the puck out from behind the goal. Every game was stiff and extremely beneficial to the team as it had to fight uphill battles. Probably as much improvement was made as possible without the services of Coach Winsor, who was unable to take the trip and there can be no doubt but that much experience was gained.

In its first game with the Syracuse Hockey Club on December 27 the Harvard seven displayed good form and won by a score of 5 to 2. In the first half the work was mainly individual rather than team-play, but later a smoothly running scoring machine was developed that swept by the local defense. The defense work of Willetts and Claflin was so good that Syracuse could do very little, in fact its only scores were the result of lucky stabs by Ringer, from free-for-all scrim- mages. Wanamaker, who went in for Clark in the second period, scored three goals, mainly as the result of clever passing and stickwork. Phillips distinguished himself by his speed and hard shooting.

The line-ups:

HARVARD.  SYRACUSE.Hopkins, l.w.  r.w., SheaS. P. Clark, Wanamaker, Adams, l.c.  r.c., GrahamPhillips, r.c.  l.c., WeirSmart, Morgan, r.w.  l.w., RingerClatlin, c.p.  c.p., CreeWilletts, p.  p., MolleyCarnochan, g.  g., Leber