ROVERS WON BY HEAVY HITTING

With Frye Twirling Defeated Marlboro Nine by Score of 12 to 7.

The Harvard Rovers defeated the Marlboro Baseball Club in a heavy hitting contest at Marlboro last Saturday by the score of 12 to 7. The Rovers had the game well in hand almost from the start, the Marlboro team with the exception of the eighth inning accomplishing little against Frye's pitching, despite his lack of control--and poor support at times. Gannett's circuit clout was the feature of the game.

Marlboro started the scoring in the last half of the first ining, when the first man up was walked, took second on a sacrifice bunt, and came home on a single to left centre. The Rovers annexed two in their half of the second. Frye hit safely, and took second when Abbott's easy grounder was booted. Both men were advanced on a passed ball. Fripp's single scored Frye, and Abbott counted a moment later when the pitcher made a wild heave to catch him off third.

The Rovers added three more runs in the third. Coolidge and Ayres were safe on errors, and after Frye had fanned, Gannett produced a drive that was good for four sacks. Marlboro tried to even things up, but two runs represented their best attempt. In the fourth, Fripp hit safely and stole second and third while Ashley was striking out. Waterman drew a pass, and with men on first and third, the double steal was worked to perfection, both men being safe. Waterman scored on Ayres' single. In the eighth, the Rovers directed a fussilade of hits against the opposing slabsman, scoring five runs on as many hits.

Frye let up a little in Marlboro's half, allowing four runs on a walk, two singles, an error, and Cronin's three bagger. The game was called at the end of the eighth on account of darkness.

The score: ROVERS.  MARLBORO. Nash, 1b.  c.f., Hunt Coolidge, c.f.  l.f., Drummy Ayres, 3b.  3b., Holt Frye, p.  2b., Topham Gannett, r.f.  1b., Ganzell Abbott, 2b.  s.s., Elcock Fripp, s.s.  c., Cronin Ashley, l.f.  r.f., Murphy Waterman, Harte, c.  p., Lohman

Innings,  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8--R.  H.  E. Rovers,  0  2  3  2  0  0  0  5--12  14  3 Marlboro,  1  0  2  0  0  0  0  4-- 7  8  4