SIDE LIGHTS ON OUR OPPONENTS

Michigan's Attack Versatile.--Yale Suffering from injuries.

Following are the scores made in last Saturday's games by the University's future opponents:

Tufts 40, Colby 14.

Penn State 13, Gettysburg 0.

Michigan 23, Vanderbilt 3.

Princeton 12, Syracuse 7.

Brown 0, Amherst 0.

Yale 20, Lehigh 3.

The work of Michigan in a pouring rain, when she defeated Vanderbilt 23 to 3, featured the play of the University's coming opponents in the games of last Saturday. All of the teams on the remainder of the Harvard schedule, with the exception of Brown,--which played a brilliant 0 to 0 game with Amherst--were victorious. Tufts and Penn State found little difficulty in disposing of their respective adversaries, Colby and Gettysburg, and Yale, with a crippled team pulled out a 20 to 3 victory over Lehigh, but Princeton barely triumphed over Syracuse, taking advantage of Syracuse's fumbles to win by the score of 12 to 7.

The terrific downpour of rain alone prevented Yost's charges from running up a much larger score against the southerners. Displaying latent versatility Michigan abandoned the open play that has featured her football this year, and humbled her opponents by plunges through the line and outside of the tackles. Maulbetsch, left halfback, crashed through Vanderbilt's defence, time and time again, ripping open her line for long consistent gains. Michigan's attack was stopped once at the twenty-yard line, whereupon Splawn dropped over a pretty field goal.

Princeton defeated Syracuse in a game in which none of the thrills of the advanced style of football were omitted. Syracuse was the aggressor during the greater part of the game; statistics showing that she gained a total of more than twice as much ground as Princeton, and punted for a total of only 20 yards less. Princeton won because of her ability to follow the ball; intercepted forward passes and recovered fumbles saving her from defeat. Princeton resorted constantly to the open game; smashing line plunges being omitted in favor of continual punting, forward passing and wide end runs.

Lehigh came through the first half of the game against Yale with a 3 to 0 lead, but Yale rallied in splendid style in the latter part of the game, carrying the ball across the line three times after successions of line plunges, end runs and forward passes. Yale put a crippled team in the field; Wilson, the veteran quarter, was out of the lineup, as was Ainsworth, halfback, Pumpelly, whose knee is again bothering him, and Van Holt, the guard who has been playing as well. Legore and Waite, a 155-pound quarterback, showed up splendidly. Knowles, Yale's best punter was injuries in the early part of the game; it being feared at first that two ribs were broken.

From the display of football which Tufts showed against Colby, it is obvious that the University will play in more than a practice game next Saturday Colby scored twice on flukes; at no other time were they in Tufts danger zone. Wide end runs by Hadley and Wescott, and some beautiful complicated forward passes permitted Tufts to gain at will, Colby being powerless to cope with this open style of play. A triple pass, netting thirty yards, was worked to perfection by the Medford team.

Penn State experienced little trouble in defeating Gettysburg 13 to 0, her backs ripping through the opponents' line for short, steady gains.

Brown, using the open game of which she is a clever exponent held Amherst to a scoreless tie. The game was interesting because of the differences in the methods of attack employed by the two teams