GEORGE NORTON PHILLIPS 1913

Died at Stillman Infirmary Last Evening After Brief Illness.

George Norton Phillips '13 of Middletown Springs, Vermont died at the Stillman Infirmary last evening, October 18, after a brief illness of two weeks.

Phillips was born in Middletown Springs, Vermont, September 10, 1885. He prepared for Harvard at Hotchkiss School where he held a position of prominence due to his deep sincerity and natural athletic ability. During his five years at school he held many positions of responsibility, being president of his class and captain of the track team in his senior year. He entered Harvard in the fall of 1909.

There were few men in his college generation whose interests were so varied. During his entire course he knew few idle moments, and his untiring energy combined with perseverance and a quiet unassuming manner were qualities which gained him success and stamped him as a leader in his numerous activities.

As a result of his wide interest in undergraduate life and his constant endeavor to maintain the highest ideals of the University, he was a man who inspired the respect of all; and those with whom he was closely associated loved him.

While in College, Phillips devoted little time to athletics, although he won his numerals in track in his Freshman year and was a member of the second baseball team in his Junior year. Much attention was given to his duties as a member of many committees, which he willingly served. He was vice-president of, and closely identified with the work of the Student Council, editor of the Register, director of the Co-operative Society, chairman of the Junior Entertainment Committee, first president of the Press Club, and member of the Phillips Brooks House Cabinet.

Elected to the CRIMSON at the close of his Sophomore year, he was chosen as managing editor the following spring and became president in the fall. It was in this capacity that his work showed to best advantage and due to his zeal many improvements were made in the general tone of the paper.

He was a member of the Speakers' Club, Memorial--Society, Hotchkiss Club, Progressive Club, Institute of 1776, D. K. E., Hasty Pudding, Signet, Phoenix and Fox Club.

Service Tomorrow.

Services will be held in Appleton Chapel tomorrow afternoon at 3.30 o'clock. The funeral will be on Wednesday at Middletown Springs, Vermont