HARVARD AND EPISCOPAL SCHOOL

Mutual Agreement Passed on Arranging Interchange of Courses.

The Board of Overseers has passed an agreement with the Episcopal Theological School, Cambridge, which, to a great extent, affiliates the two institutions. The following is the text of the agreement between the University and the School:

1. The students in each institution shall be allowed to take courses in the other without payment of fee for three years; and if at the end of that time it appears that such an arrangement involves an undue financial sacrifice on either side, a new and equitable arrangement in regard to the payment for such courses shall be made; but in any event the student shall not be required to pay a total amount greater than his tuition fee to one institution.

2. The Episcopal Theological School shall raise its tuition fee to $150 a year, being the same as that now charged by the Harvard Divinity School and Andover Theological Seminary.

3. Students registered in the Episcopal Theological School, who have already obtained the degree of B.D. there or elsewhere may obtain the higher degrees of Harvard University on complying with the terms required for such degrees.

4. Each institution shall be at liberty to include in its catalogue a list of the courses in the other, and the students and professors in each shall have free use, without additional charge, of the libraries and museums of the other.

Commenting on this agreement in the Alumni Bulletin, George Hodges, D.D., Dean of the Episcopal Theological School, says:

"The extension of the hospitality of the University to the Episcopal Theological School follows the precedent set in the affiliation of the Andover Theological Seminary. The University is thus enabled to offer to its students the privileges of three schools of theology whose courses may be counted towards Harvard degrees. These are all "liberal" schools, in the sense that they are concerned not so much with the recitation of dogmas as with the truths which underlie the dogmas. But they differ in their emphasis.

"The Harvard Divinity School has a traditional connection with Unitarianism, but its main business is to train scholars with out reference to any denominational preference. The Andover Theological Seminary prepares men for the Congregational ministry; the Episcopal Theological School, for the Episcopal ministry. These are necessary functions, for each of these religious communities has its own point of view, its own way of conducting its work and worship, and its own message. The affiliation of the three schools with the University carries with it a new co-operation of the schools one with another."