REGULARS DOWN 1918, 6 TO 3

Heavy Freshman Line Holds University Attack.--Canadians Demonstrate Open Style of Play.

Football practice yesterday was featured by a hard scrimmage between the University and Freshman teams, the first in which they have engaged this year. The University team, lacking many of its best players, emerged victorious from the long tussle, having made one touchdown, but the Freshmen scored on a field goal, held the University team for downs at their own goal line, and would have themselves made a touchdown but for a penalty on a decisive play. However, the University team lacked so many of the regulars, that yesterday's play it hardly a fair criterion. Whitney, at fullback, showed more than he has for the last two years, and from present indications he will make a valuable addition to the first string substitutes. Coach Leary is rapidly developing Soucy as an end, his playing at that position yesterday being a decided improvement over the previous day's work. Pennock's knee still keeps him out of scrimmage, and Bradlee and Hardwick were out of the line-up; so it was far from a first string team that opposed the Freshmen.

The 1918 team, once they had recovered from the stage-fright incident to their first start in the Stadium, played exceptionally well. Their big linemen were little inferior to those of the University forwards, but the backs seemed hardly equal to the opportunities that the rush line afforded them. Mackie, substituting at tackle blocked one of Francke's punts and the Freshmen recovered the ball on the University's 25-yard line, from which place Horne kicked a pretty field goal for the 1918 team's only score.

Before the scrimmage with the Freshmen the University players watched a demonstration of the Canadian game as played by the Hamiltons, with the assistance of a few second team men. Fast, wide open, running and passing characterizes their style of game.