NEW LINE FACES PENN STATE

NEW DEFENCE GETS FIRST REAL TEST AGAINST UNSCORED ON ELEVEN.

The University team will meet the Pennsylvania State team this afternoon in the Stadium at 3 o'clock. With the advent of this game the half way mark on the University's schedule is reached, but four games remaining to be played. Pennsylvania State comes to this contest with an eleven that has won every game this season without being scored upon, her victories including defeats of Westminster, Mahlenberg, Gettysburg and Ursinus, and which boasts of the enviable record of having had but six first downs credited to her opponents. What showing the Pennsylvania eleven will be able to make against a major eleven is problematical; certainly the University line will offer by far the most stubborn resistance that the State backfield has encountered so far this season.

The week's practice for the University team has brought forth some startling shifts in the line up of the men, but the progress of the team has been decidedly encouraging. The reconstruction recently begun will doubtless change materially the present line-up, as the coaches are attempting to develop bigger and more powerful recruits to strengthen a line which has not been playing up to standard. Soucy, at end, is falling into the duties of his new position quickly, and should be an improvement over Weatherhead, while Wallace, at center, backs up the line as a secondary defence even better than did Soucy, his most obvious fault being a tendency toward erratic passing to the punter. Pennock will be unable to play. Francke will make his first appearance in the backfield in place of Captain Brickley, and his performance will be watched with considerable interest on all sides.

Both teams took light practice yesterday afternoon, the University team rehearsing signals and taking a drill in defensive tactics in the Stadium, while Pennsylvania State limited its practice to a signal drill on the local grounds at Auburndale.

The probable line-ups of the teams this afternoon follows: UNIVERSITY.  PENN STATE. T. J. Coolidge, l.e.  r.e., Thomas R. C. Curtis, l.t.  r.t., Lamb Underwood, l.g.  r.g., McDowell Wallace, c.  c., Wood Weston, r.g.  l.g., Miller Trumbull, r.t.  l.t., Kratt Soucy, r.e.  l.e., Higgins Swigert, q.b.  q.b., James Hardwick, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Welty Francke, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Tobin Bradlee, f.b.  f.b., Clark