PROMISING YEAR FOR DEBATERS

1917 and 1918 Clubs Prospering.--Dates of Interclass Matches

Never has a College year begun with such favorable auspices for the various debating organizations connected with the University. The 1917 debating society is establishing a noteworthy precedent in continuing its existence after its Freshman year. So much interest was taken in the work of this organization last year that it was decided to try the experiment of continuing it for at least another year, and from all indications the project is going to be successful.

The 1918 debating club, while still in its infancy, has already aroused considerable interest and should have no difficulty in making its work successful.

Plans have been made for interclass debating and the first trials for the interclass teams will be held on November 9. Six men from each class will be retained as a result of this trial. Men should be able to speak for five minutes on either side of the question. The second trials, as a result of which the teams of three men each will be chosen, are to be held on November 13. The question and the time and place for the trials will be announced later.

The interclass debates themselves will take place during the weeks of November 16 and 23. Cups will be presented to the winners of these debates.