UPSETS MARK FOOTBALL GAMES

Favorites Overwhelmed in Hard Fought Contests Saturday.

Following are the scores made by the University's future opponents in Saturday's games:

Michigan 6, Syracuse 20.

Princeton 16, Dartmouth 12.

Brown 7, Cornell 28.

Yale 7, Washington and Jefferson 13.

The games that marked the half way point in most of the major elevens' schedules were productive of startling surprises; Michigan, Yale, and Brown encountered unexpected reverses, while Princeton, on the other hand, displayed latent versatility and ability in her defeat of Dartmouth.

Washington and Jefferson's defeat of Yale by the score of 13 to 7, is conclusive evidence of the real power of this team; last, powerful and hard fighting, it has demonstrated its right to a place among the leaders in football.

Yale was swept off her feet by Washington's fierce onslaught; Spiegel, Fleming, Young and Goodwin ripping great holes in the Yale line, skirting the ends, and using trick formations in which speed was the dominant factor, until Yale was practically demoralized. The game was one of the hardest fought that has ever taken place on the Yale field, both teams playing desperately. Yale's touchdown came in the first quarter as the result of a fumble on the forty-yard line, Legore soon scoring on a wide end run. However, the diversified attack of the opponents' backfield began to pierce the Yale defence, fifteen first downs being recorded, and both touchdowns following beautifully executed forward passes. With apparent defeat imminent the Yale team fought fiercely, but the Washington defence tightened up and repeatedly threw the Yale backs for losses.

Syracuse Victorious.

Syracuse was conceded to have a strong, powerful team but her overwhelming defeat of Michigan was totally unexpected. During the first half neither team was able to score, the play being always near the middle of the field. Syracuse's powerful line-plunging finally broke down the westerners' defence, and straight old fashioned football of the hardest sort was responsible for all of her touchdowns. Moreover, the Syracuse team tackled so hard and surely that even the efforts of Maulbetsch, the Michigan fullback who has been regularly smashing through the opponents' lines, were of no avail. Outplayed in every phase of the old fashioned game, Michigan stubbornly attempted to save the game, but at no time could she evade the opponents' defence even enough to try for a field goal.

New Stadium Christened.

One of the most thrilling football games of last week marked the opening of the New Stadium at Princeton when the Princeton team defeated Dartmouth, 16 to 12. The latter team seemed to be the more powerful machine and to have a more highly developed repertoire of plays, but Princeton won because of uncanny ability to follow the ball that has been so characteristic of its game during the last five years. Two fumbles were taken advantage of in the first half both resulting in touchdowns, and Tippetts, a substitute, kicked a pretty goal over from the 40-yard line; this ended the scoring for Princeton. Dartmouth, seemingly decisively beaten, started off her scoring late in the second quarter when Ghee ran through the entire Princeton team for a touchdown. Then followed a succession of hard line attacks, spectacular forward passes, and beautiful punts that drove the Princeton team steadily backward. That forward passes could be so successfully used was a revelation; had time permitted Dartmouth would have doubtless scored once more despite the heroic and desperate defence which the lighter team was putting up.

Cornell triumphed over Brown, 28 to 7, at the Polo Grounds in New York City. Brown excelled at the forward passing game; in all the other phases of football she was distinctly inferior to her opponent. The Cornell defence was practically impregnable and her backfield men found little difficulty in opening up the Brunonian line for constant gains. Barrett of Cornell, and Murphy, of Brown, the two quarterbacks, easily starred on account of their field generalship.