EMPHASIS ON SOCIAL SERVICE

MEN OF PROMINENCE URGE INTEREST AND ZEAL IN HELPING OTHERS.

The first Social Service meeting of Phillips Brooks House was attended by an encouraging number of men from all departments of the University. Mr. R. W. Kelso, Secretary of the State Board of Charities, was the first speaker, and he dwelt at length on the duty of the State in caring for the inebriate and feeble-minded. Public service in alleviating the results of using alcoholic beverages is a vital thing, and should be taken in trust by all. Mr. Kelso emphasized the duty of a man towards his neighbor.

Dr. Richard Cabot '89, of the Medical School, spoke on another branch of the work the personal benefits received. He dwelt on the necessity of thought and care in choosing a profession, and on the value of social service as a man's employment.

R. Kettell '14 discussed the pleasure and profit to be derived from entertainment work. S. B. Pennock '15 told of his experiences with a boys' club at the Roxbury Neighborhood House, and L. A. Morgan '17 explained that zeal was the requisite of a social service worker.

For all interested, the Secretary will hold office hours from 8 to 10 on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, and from 8 to 9, and 11 to 1 on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.

Social Service Committee.

Chairman, W. B. Pirnie '15.

Secretary, L. A. Morgan '17.

Superintendents, chairman, H. A. Murray '15; C. A. Coolidge '17, C. C. Lund '16, H. DeFord '15, C. Higginson '17, H. M. Atkinson '15, P. B. Watson '15.

Entertainments, chairman, N. L. Tibbetts '15; P. Blackmur '15, G. P. Slade '17, J. T. Lanman '15, L. deJ. Harvard '15, D. C. Watson '16, Wells Blanchard '16, Paul Rabenold '15, I. Townsend '15, L. B. Sugarman '15, F. Fremont-Smith, Jr., '17.

Clothing collection, H. L. Nash '16, R. Mead '15.

Deputations, H. Francke '15.

Associated charities, P. Campos '16.

Juvenile courts, R. W. Chubb '15.

Home libraries, W. Willcox '17.

Cambridge Y. M. C. A., N. L. Torrey '15.