TO FORM A MACHINE-GUN CO.

Members of University and Technology to be Organized in 8th Massachusetts Infantry.

Following the authorization by the United States War Department of the organization of a machine gun company in each regiment of the national guard, it is proposed to form this company of the 8th Massachusetts Infantry from undergraduates and graduate students of the University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The advantages afforded men by military training are unlimited, and to this training will be added practical and theoretical instruction in the use of the machine-gun.

Captain Franklin J. Burnham of the Regimental Commissary Department, will be aided by Lieutenant W. W. Austin in the command of the newly organized company, both men being commissioned offers in the U. S. Army, Lieutenant William Renwick, a graduate of the Law School, who presented the Benet-Mercier machine-gun to the State, and who has, in addition, given much of his time to the practical demonstration of this powerful offensive weapon, will teach the men the mechanical workings of the instrument.

The organization will form a separate company of the 8th Regiment, and as such will have the complete infantry equipment issued to every man. In case of war the company would undoubtedly be the most important factor in the worth of the regiment. There is no obligation to buy the equipment inasmuch as it is issued by the War Department, but an enlistment fee of five dollars will be charged.

Meeting in Armory Tomorrow.

A preliminary meeting to which all men in the University who are interested in military training in its broadest sense, are cordially invited will be held tomorrow night at the Armory on Massachusetts avenue at 8 o'clock. Colonel F. A. Graves and Captain Burnham will address the men and discuss the purposes of the company, the advantages offered by military training, and the special benefit derived from thorough knowledge of the machine-gun, a weapon which has tended to revolutionize modern war-fare.