COACHING DIRECTED AT LINE

Defensive Work of Forwards to be Built Up.--Captain Brickley Practices Drop-Kicking.

University football practice yesterday was significant because of the return to the field of many of the regulars, notably Captain Brickley, Pennock, and Mahan. Just three weeks and two days have elapsed since Brickley was operated on for appendicitis at the Stillman Infirmary. The excellent condition of his health permitted him to rally from the direct effects of the operation remarkably fast, and yesterday he was able to take a light work-out. He took three turns around the Stadium track, and practiced left footed drop-kicking for 15 minutes.

Wallace, Soucy, Sweetser, and Morgan were the only absentees. Wallace and Morgan should be in condition to play by the middle of the week; but it is doubtful if the other two will get into the game this fall.

The football situation is steadily becoming brighter. Coach Haughton, assisted by Coaches Leary, Brown, Fisher, Parmenter, Hitchcock, Campbell and Daly worked with the men with redoubled energy in preparation for the Princeton game Saturday, and the first eleven ran smoothly and speedily.

Seconds On Offensive.

The University team lined up on the defensive against the second eleven, which utilized numerous Princeton formations. Every play was slowly diagnosed with care, so that every man might acquire the ability to quickly size up all of the opponent's plays on Saturday.

All through the season the defensive work of the forward line has been below standard; weakness having been apparent in each contest. To develop a line strong enough to stop the attack of the Princeton backfield and at the same time capable of aiding its own backs on the offence is the problem which is confronting the coaches. The return of Pennock should materially strengthen the line, and throughout the week individual attention will be directed to the perfecting of a stronger forward defence.

Signal practice was followed by a long punting drill, S. M. Felton, 3d., '13, assisting the regular coaches. The University team lined up as follows: l.e., T. J. Coolidge; l.t., Parson; l.g., Weston; c., Bigelow; r.g., Pennock; r.t., Trumbull; r.e., Hardwick; q.b., Logan; l.h.b., Mahan; r.h.b., Bradlee; f.b., Francke