ITALIAN PAINTING ON EXHIBITION

Beautiful Work by Botticelli Added to Fogg Museum Collection.

The Fogg Art Museum has recently placed on exhibition a beautiful painting that has been attributed to Botticelli, which is lent by Mr. Arthur Hoe. The picture is a tondo representing the Madonna and Child and St. John, and shows great similarity to a certain type of painting attributed to Botticelli but very close to Filippino Lippi, who was one of his ablest pupils. The Madonna is seated in the open, and is dressed in a red gown, over which is thrown a blue mantle with a rich orange lining. The Christ Child is standing in her lap, with His arms around her neck. St. John is praying by her side, and has a red mantle thrown over his shoulders. The picture fills an important gap in the collection of Italian paintings now at the Fogg Museum, and by the beauty of its color adds to the richness of effect in the gallery.

Drawings of Ypres.

Two pencil drawings of Ypres by the early English master, Samuel Prout (1783-1852) have recently been placed on exhibition. Both drawings were made from the Grande Place, and represent the Hotel de Ville. In one of them the square tower of the famous Cloth Hall appears in the background, and the other one shows two corner turrets and a bit of the Cathedral of St. Martin. These buildings are particularly interesting in the eyes of the world now, because they are said to have been destroyed in the last few weeks by artillery fire.