RELIGIOUS ACTIVITIES GREAT

FALL REPORT SHOWS NEARLY 300 STUDENTS IN SOCIAL SERVICE.

The report of the work which Phillips Brooks House carried on this fall, up to December 1, is a significant proof of the good that this institution accomplishes in the wide scope of activities, University and charitable, in which it is interested.

An information bureau was kept open for the benefit of students, especially new men, from September 14 to October 1, and 913 men took advantage of this opportunity to obtain free information. Likewise on registration day, information bureaus were run for the benefit of Law School, Medical School, and Graduate School men at the respective registration offices.

Meetings of various classes, societies, and religious discussion groups have been held at regular intervals. The more important of these, with the hours of meeting and the average attendance, are as follows: University Christian Association, Sundays at 9.45 o'clock, average attendance 40; St. Paul's Society, Wednesdays at 7 o'clock, average attendance, 14; Law School, monthly meetings, average attendance, 125; Medical School Committee, meetings on November 19 and 29; Graduate School Bible class, fortnightly meetings, average attendance, 19; Freshman Bible class, Mondays at 7 o'clock, average attendance, 53; and twenty groups for religious discussion among upperclassmen, meetings weekly, average attendance, 212, average size of groups, 10; and total enrolment, 300.

Up to December 1 the social service department had placed 152 men in charge of various boys' clubs in the vicinity, secured men for 120 teaching positions in different settlement and charitable houses, and arranged for 5 entertainments. In addition one large box of the clothing obtained in the annual old- clothes collection was given to the Red Cross Committee. The Legal Aid Bureau handled 40 cases. Five hundred and twenty-seven books were withdrawn from the loan library by 226 men.

Eleven receptions and meetings have been given during the past two months as follows: September 28, reception to entering Freshmen at Christ Church; September 29, reception to 1918 at Phillips Brooks House, 600 being present; October 1, Graduate Schools Society reception, 175 attending; October 2, Law School Society reception, with 200 present; October 5, Christian Science Society reception, 25 present; October 5, social service conference, 110 present; October 13, Menorah Society reception; October 24, meeting of Student Volunteers of greater Boston; October 28, social service committee dinner; November 26, Thanksgiving "open house," 6 to 10 o'clock, 163 present; November 27, first University Tea, 102 students, 35 guests present