LICHTENBERGER ON THE DRAMA.

When Professor Lichtenberger, of the Sorbonne, chose to give his course on "Nietzsche" he counted, no doubt, on a genuine and widespread interest here in so important a figure of modern philosophy. There is no stronger evidence that he did not find it than the meager enrolment in the course. Whatever may be the course for this apparent lack of interest, whether it be the concentration and distribution system or whether we of an American university have not the same absorbing interests as the students of the universities in Europe, it is too late now to do anything so far as changing courses is concerned. On the other hand, visitors will always be welcome to the "Nietzsche" course.

It is not too late, however, to evince an interest in Professor Lichtenberger's new series of lectures at the Lowell Institute, on "Le Drame Musicale Francais Contemporain." The combination of an important topic of the French theatres and an interpreter of high critical standards who is thoroughly familiar with his subject should change indifference to interest. It may or may not be our fault that we show little curiosity in "Nietzsche"; we are certainly to blame if we miss hearing of an art that touches a great part of the French people, and is universal in its influence.