WORK FOUND FOR 144 GRADS.

Appointment Office and Faculty Placed Power Men Than Last Year Owing to Existing Hard Times.

The report of the Harvard Appointment Office for 1913-14 which has just been issued, shows that 81 men obtained positions through the Alumni Association, which is 18 less than last year. The Faculty obtained work for 34 men, which is 6 fewer than in 1912-13. These differences are explained by the existing stringency of financial conditions which has a decided effect on the number of available positions. The Harvard Club of New York, which took, up this work for the first time on May 1, 1914, placed 29 men. This makes a total of 144, as compared with 139 in 1912-13 and 95 in 1911-12. Of these 144, 142 reported their salaries, which totalled $149,944, or an average of $1,055 per man. The 129 who reported the year before showed an average earning capacity of only $975.

Of the men placed by the Alumni Association, 30 are in manufacture, 13 in mercantile employment, 10 in banking and brokerage, 5 in secretarial work, 4 in telegraph and telephone accounting and 4 in journalism. Registrations numbered 655, and calls from employers 228.

Through the Faculty 15 men from the Graduate School of Applied Science, 13 from the School of Business Administration, and 6 from other schools found positions.

The Harvard Club of New York found work for 11 men in manufacturing and mercantile pursuits, and 8 in technical work, the others being distributed among various occupations.

Of the 144 positions obtained, 64 are in Massachusetts, 38 in New York, 14 in Pennsylvania, 7 in Illinois, and the remaining 21 distributed among as many states.