ATHLETIC ACTIVITY FOR WINTER

Review of Plans for Next Few Months in Various Sports.

For the benefit of readers who have not as yet taken up any sport for the winter, the CRIMSON prints the following digest of plans:

Hockey.

Candidates for the University hockey team are taking daily preliminary work at the Hemenway Gymnasium. This form of practice will continue until December 12, when it is expected that the Boston Arena will be opened. The team will then practice regularly three or four times a week on that rink under the direction of Coach A. Winsor '02. When it becomes cold enough rinks will be constructed in the Stadium and on the Charles River.

The Freshman squad is taking easy preliminary work three afternoons a week. Regular work will begin as soon as there is ice on the Charles, or as soon as rinks can be constructed in the Stadium.

The University second team will again have a regular schedule this season, playing like teams of other colleges and various school teams. The scrub series will be started after recess. Men may join teams by signing the blue-books which will be placed in Leavitt & Peirce's within the next few days.

Track.

Handicap competitions in field events will be held regularly on Tuesdays and Thursdays throughout the winter under direction of Coach Powers. Prizes will be awarded in each event to the three men who have the highest averages at the end of the season. Opportunity to enter a number of indoor meets will be afforded candidates, and a team will be entered in the I. C. A. A. A. A. indoor relay championships which will be held in Madison Square Garden, New York City, on March 6. Voluntary work for track men will begin as soon as the board track is erected, and candidates for the relay team will be called out as soon as possible. All candidates for the Freshman and University track teams are expected to take part in this winter work.

Crew.

Both Freshman and University candidates will be called out for regular practice directly after mid-years. Voluntary work on the machines will start immediately after the Christmas recess. The early regular practice will consist of work on the machines and in the tank until the river is open. Coach Wray will again have supervision over the work of all candidates for University and Freshman crews.

Baseball.

Practice for battery candidates, University and Freshman, will begin about the middle of January; part of the work will be done in the Gymnasium and part in the Cage. After the mid-years, the regular battery work in the Cage will begin.

The fielders will be called out in the early part of March and will work in the Cage until the weather permits out-door practice.

Minor Sports.

The Fencing squad is practising regularly on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday afternoons, in the Fencing Room of Hemenway Gymnasium, under the direction of Coach Leslabay.

Coach J. Wolf, assisted by Dr. Schrader is supervising the work of the gymnastic squad. Proctice is held on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons at 5 o'clock, and on Monday evenings at 7 in the Gymnasium.

Candidates for the swimming team are practising daily in the Cambridge Y. M. C. A. pool under Coach Mann.