Graduate Students in Debating.

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In view of two recent editorials, one in the CRIMSON and one in the Illustrated, concerning the eligibility of graduates to the debating team, I should like to explain the position of the Debating Council on this question.

In the first place, debating should not be compared to athletics because there is absolutely no danger of professionalism in debating. One great argument for limiting it to undergraduates is therefore quashed.

Again, the Council intends no unfairness to Yale or Princeton. No written agreements exist between these universities about debating. Each university has always been willing to meet any representatives whom the others might send. Two years ago, Harvard limited the number of graduates to three without asking Yale or Princeton to do the same. We simply felt that it was for our own good. Statistics do not bear out the statement that the mere presence of graduates produces unfairness. Since intercollegiate debating began here, Harvard has used 20 graduates and Yale 22 in Harvard-Yale debates. In Harvard-Princeton debates we have used 19 and Princeton 4. We have won 18 times from Yale and lost 5, while with Princeton we have won 11 and lost 8. Thus, although Yale has used more graduates, our record with her is much better than with Princeton. In truth, it would be unfair to us to limit ourselves because many of our best debaters go to law school during their fourth year and thus would be really eligible only two years.

Other factors besides the presence of graduates account for victories. Princeton has many more debating clubs than Harvard. Were it certain that a change would greaty stimulate undergraduate activity in debating it might be advisable. Whatever is done should be done on the basis of advancement of debating at Harvard. It is on a like basis that Yale and Princeton have acted. R. L. WEST, '14.