THE NEWS COMPETITION.

Opportunity is offered to three classes this evening to enter competition for the CRIMSON Board: to 1917 for the first time, to 1915 for the last. Of the editorial competition there is little to be said, as its nature is simple and well understood. There are a few words in order, however, concerning the news competition.

In the first place the accomplishment of success in both college work and a CRIMSON competition is not a mathematical impossibility as some seem to consider it. A man, as the experience of many demonstrates, can do both well by proper arrangement, of his time; and he must keep his standard in the one above the probation line to remain in the other.

Then, as to the competition itself. It is hard work, and does not profess to be otherwise, but the drudgery and protracted labor which cause many of the stagnant-minded to fight shy of it is one of its greatest values. For this teaches accuracy, alertness, and, perhaps most important of all, that which so many business men complain that college graduates lack--a sense of discipline. Beyond these, the competition places a man in touch with the leaders in the various undergraduate and University activities; and opens to him a glimpse of Harvard as a University--the world of Harvard it may be called, of which undergraduate life is only a phase.

Lastly, to those who succeed in the competition, is given the opportunity for newspaper experienced; for a still closer association with undergraduate activities, a still broader conception of Harvard, the University, and a still more thorough and valuable training in discipline and organization; and the opportunity for service to the University--internally, as the paper itself can be of service, and externally as a part of the system by which the University's news is dispensed.