NEW GYM NOW SEEMS ASSURED

PRESIDENT LOWELL SANCTIONS APPOINTMENT OF GRADUATE COMMITTEE.

President Lowell gave his official sanction to the movement for the erection of a new gymnasium yesterday. A graduate committee will be appointed immediately to begin an active campaign among the graduates for the necessary funds. Undergraduate committees have been at work for over a year obtaining pledges and collecting subscriptions from the students so that when the time came to approach the graduates, they could show proof of the interest which the members of the University feel in the project.

Now that President Lowell's sanction has been given, it seems certain that the fund for the gymnasium will be raised within a short time. Many of the alumni have already signified their intention to contribute when called upon. Among these, Hamilton Fish, Jr., '10, recently offered to give $5,000 as soon as other graduates should be asked for contributions.

Artificial Rink In Building.

The graduate committee which will be appointed, will probably include those of the alumni who have been actively interested in Harvard athletics. General plans for the building itself have been drawn up, which will be used except for a few modifications. They call for a swimming tank, an artificial rink, and indoor tennis, squash, and handball courts.

The probable location of the new building will be somewhere along the river. This will make it easily accessible to students living in the Freshman Dormitories, on Mt. Auburn street, or in the Yard, and still bring it near Soldiers Field and the boathouses. The new building will be so large that it will be impossible to use the site of the Hemenway Gymnasium. The committee will attempt to raise a million dollars, sixtenths of which will be used in the construction of the building and the reremainder as a maintenance fund.