RELATIONS WITH TECHNOLOGY.

The comparison of the Constitution of the United States, outlining the boundaries of our government, to a surveyor's staking out of a field is a favorite one. The field once defined, precedent and the Supreme Court have cultivated it and made it what it is today.

As has been pointed out, the recent agreement between Harvard and the Institute is something of the same nature. It has been left for the joint faculties of Technology and the Graduate Schools of Applied Science to direct the co-operation within the limits set forth. Beyond providing that all students in the Institute shall be entitled to the privileges of members of the professional schools of the University, it has also been left to the students of the two institutions to enter into as close or as distant relations as they please. Within this field of opportunity the Deutscher Verein has taken the first step.

While it is neither desired by the promoters of the agreement, nor by the members of either institution that the two undergraduate bodies should be so thrown together as in any way to lose their individuality, there are a number of ways in which they might benefit by association. This is particularly true of clubs connected with branches of college study. Since, moreover, Technology is to be the later arrival in Cambridge and since its students are to be the recipients of Harvard professional school privileges which are new to them, it is the part of Harvard undergraduates to be the leaders in any such association. The ideal development of relations between the undergraduates of the two institutions is an extension of such policy as the Deutscher Verein's effecting friendliness and the greatest mutual benefit without dulling individuality.