PLANS FOR SOCCER SEASON

Practice Begins Tuesday--Outlook Encouraging for League Series.

A meeting of the candidates for the University soccer team was held in the Committee Room of the Union last night. Captain Francke '14 addressed the candidates, pointing out the value of regular attendance at practice, and explaining the requirements of the game. Practice in kicking is to commence Tuesday in the Gymnasium. D. Needham '13, three years on the University team, declared that the outlook this year is at least as bright as in former years, and that regular, hard, conscientious practice counted for much more than the number of veteran players. He also pointed out the necessity for special effort in order to defeat Princeton.

Encouraging Outlook.

The prospects for a strong team to represent the University in the intercollegiate soccer series this spring are most encouraging. The unsuccessful fall season was due largely to inexperience among the new men and lack of team play in the forward line. With the experience gained in the fall season, however, Baker, Weld, and Smart should, with last year's veterans, prove themselves a combination worthy of their backfield.

The crimson defence is exceptionally strong. Nichols at goal, who made the All-American team last year, is sure to be a valuable asset to the team. The halfbacks played steadily last fall, and displayed the cleverness and knowledge of the game, especially in Captain Francke's case, that was lacking in the forward department. Grant is a consistent halfback, and the fullbacks, King man and Moffat, with Hudner, have developed a comparatively strong secondary defence. The men who played on the championship team of last spring are Francke, Carnochan, Nichols, Grant, and Hopkins. Under Coach Burgess's direction Captain Francke should muster an aggregation capable of keeping the Milner trophy at Cambridge.

Princeton Joins League.

Princeton has recently accepted the invitation to join the league, and will probably enter a strong team. The Princeton dates, however, have not yet been decided.

University Schedule.

The University schedule, which will also include four or five preliminary games, is as follows, subject to the approval of the Athletic Committee:

April 2.--Harvard vs. Cornell, at Cambridge.

April 4.--Harvard vs. Yale, at Cambridge.

April 11.--Harvard vs. Pennsylvania, at Philadelphia.

April 13.--Harvard vs. Haverford, at Haverford.

April 18.--Harvard vs. Columbia, at New York.