HARVARD MEN AS DRAMATISTS

Three One-Act Plays, Novel in Situation and Treatment, to be Presented by Dramatic Club.

The Dramatic Club will round out the sixth year of its activity in what has become its customary fashion, with a bill of one-act plays. The three that it has chosen show a wide variety of interest and treatment, so that the spring performances should provide unusually good entertainment.

E. L. Beach '13, author of "Let's Get Married," has written "The Clod," a short play laid in the mountain districts of the South at the time of the Rebellion. It tells with grim intensity the story of a woman, entirely calloused and deadened by the monotony of her life, and of her reaction to a wholly probable melodramatic incident that calls upon her for a volitional action to which she is unaccustomed. The struggle between her almost atrophied will and events that demand forceful direction makes an engrossing play of character and action.

"The Bank Account," by H. F. Brock sC., is a grim play of modern scene in which a wife's misuse of the money her husband has given her to save shatters his slowly built-up hopes of independence. The farm he had hoped to be able to buy is lost to him, and he must return to office routine.

One of Three a Comedy.

"The Fourflushers," by C. Kinkhead sC., is in a far different mood. A hackneyed domestic situation, hackneyed in plays at least, is made the butt of pervasive, witty satire. Butler, husband, wife, and false friend, all have the tricks of their trades at their finger tips, and ply them with most humerous results.

All three plays are exceptional in their workmanship, move briskly and reasonably to their appointed climaxes, and present novel situations in an original treatment.

There will be performances of the plays in Brattle Hall on March 31 and April 2, and in Copley Hall, Boston, on April 3. Mr. Clayton G. Gilbert, head of the dramatic department at the New England Conservatory, assisted by Mr. Theodore Koch, will cast the plays and conduct rehersals.

Scarcity of Business Candidates.

There will be a meeting for new candidates for the business department of the club in Brentford 21 this evening at 7 o'clock. More men are needed as only a few responded to the last call. Men are particularly desired for work in advertising. No previous experience is necessary, and the spring competition is unusually short.