"BURY FAIR" FOUND AMUSING

STAGING OF PLAY RATHER THAN INDIVIDUAL ACTING WAS COMMENDABLE.

By W. A. Neilson.

The first public performance of "Bury Fair," given by the Harvard Chapter of Delta Upsilon Society in Brattle Hall last evening, was a marked success. The second of the five performances will be given in Brattle Hall this evening at 8 o'clock, and will be followed by informal dancing. Tickets at $1.50 and $1.00 may be secured at the Co-operative Branch, Herrick's, or from H. G. Francke '14, Thayer 32.

Review of the Performance.

Professor Neilson has reviewed last evening's presentation as follows:

The performance given in Brattle Hall yesterday evening fully justified the choice of Shadwell's comedy for the D. U. annual revival. The play turned out to be full of amusing situations, clearly conceived types, and abundance of telling lines; and the audience appeared to enjoy themselves hugely.

On the whole, more praise was due to the direction of the play than to the individual actors. The scenery was in good taste, appropriate, and admirably simple, though the lighting during the first act left something to be desired.

Men's Parts Well Taken.

Several of the parts were taken in a way that recalled the best performances of previous years. Mr. Gifford as the barber-count, Mr. Rice as Sir Humphrey Noddy, and Mr. Loring as Trim, one could hardly have wished better; while Mr. Harvard and Mr. Fenn also acted with spirit and intelligence. Wildish had serious defects in voice and delivery, and was unfortunately reluctant to face anyone he addressed.

Of the women's parts, those of the two Fantasts by Mr. Wetherell and Mr. Zinsser were perhaps even funnier than Shadwell intended. The rendering of those female characters that are serious or sentimental is a physical impossibility for adult males. The sooner the aid of Radcliffe is called in for heroines the better.

The performance as a whole was well worth the effort, and the University ought to take full advantage of the rare opportunity of seeing a play of the Restoration performed with so much vigor and understanding.