Sees Need of College Orchestra.

Communications

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The amateur musical activities of the College are at present regulated in such unsystematic manner that much, indeed, in the way of improvement can be wished far. Certain it is that existing conditions are far from being continue to the fullest assertion of the widely scattered musical ability latent in the College community. It is true that there now flourish the Musical Clubs and the Pierian Sodality; but, while they sometimes follow musical standards of reputability it cannot be said that real aesthetic interest in serious musical expression is their entire purpose, and that they are adequately representative of the full measure of Harvard's serious musical ability.

Now that our musical world has been blessed with a successful representative organ, the Musical Review, and will soon be welcomed into an attractive Music Building, might it not also be timely to consider the assumption of a certain representative function for which the College has great need,--a College orchestra? In certain other colleges the official maintenance of a representative orchestra, constant participation and faithful performance in which receives academic credit, is not a new idea, and such orchestra-work can be found listed in their catalogues among the regular courses of their Musical Departments. If such a plan were to be adopted in our College, not only would a higher standard be set by the academic supervision in the character of the program, the discipline, and the technical performance of our amateur players, but it would also attract the many undergraduates of no inferior ability who have until now been unable to sacrifice the time necessary for club rehearsals. Surely it cannot be dented that such on orchestra, truly representative of Harvard's serious musical ability, officially connected with and vouchsafed for by the Musical Department, would do justice to Harvard's Musical interests and to her reputation. B. T. Goldaerg '16.