TRIP OPENS INAUSPICIOUSLY

SOCCER MEN DROP FIRST GAME TO UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA.

The University association football team met with its first defeat of the season at Philadelphia on Saturday, when the University of Pennsylvania managed to record a 2 to 0 victory. The Pennsylvania players were much quicker on the ball than the University's, and their combination play was decidedly superior.

Bell, of the opposition, scored both goals for his team, securing one in the middle of each half. Both of his successful shots were swift and well-directed, and were made from difficult positions while there were several Harvard men around him.

The summary: HARVARD.  PENNSYLVANIA. Nichols, g.  g., Howell Storer, r.f.b.  r.f.b., Smith Hudner, l.f.b.  l.f.b., Webster Grant, r.h.b.  r.h.b., Mohr Francke, c.h.b.  c.h.b., Moffly Fenn, l.h.b.  l.h.b., Dunstan Smart, r.o.f.  r.o.f., Baron Jennings, r.i.f.  r.i.f., Bell Baker, c.f.  c.f., Frazier Carnochan, l.i.f.  l.i.f., Murphy Weld, l.o.f.  l.o.f., de Gaudenzi

Score--U. of P. 2, Harvard 0. Goals--Bell 2. Referee--Waldron Linesmen--Burgess and Cornell. Time--45-minute halves.

This afternoon the University will meet Haverford at Haverford in its fourth league game, and if it should win will come back from third place in the league to second.