"LE MIDI'S" FIRST RENDITION

PREMIER AMERICAN HEARING OF EPOCH-MAKING HAYDN SYMPHONY.

The Pierian Sodality will give its one hundred and sixth annual spring concert in Sanders Theatre this evening at 8 o'clock. The feature of the program will be a symphony by Haydn, "Le Midi," produced for the first time in this country. This new composition was written at Eisenstadt in 1761, and produced a sensation on account of the strange combination of instruments. The score calls for two solo violins, a solo 'cello, two flutes, two oboes, a bassoon, and two horns.

Although the symphony with its unusual features was epoch-making, it remained hidden among Haydn's early scores for nearly a century. The work, possibly because of its exceptional character, did not appear in Breitkopf's first catalogue of symphonies, and did not come to light until 1782, when it appeared in the catalogue of Westphalia in Hamburg, and later, of Johann Traeg. It is the oldest of Haydn's autographed scores in existence.

Tickets are on sale at the Co-operative Branch, or may be obtained from A. Bellen, Jr., 31 Holyoke street. The regular prices for the tickets are $2, $1.50, $1, and 50 cents, but all members of the University are entitled to two tickets at half price. The Sodality will be assisted by members of the Boston Symphony Orchestra. A. F. Pickernell '14 will be soloist, and will be accompanied by H. W. Frost '14.

The program will be as follows:

Haydn, "Le Midi," symphony in C-major number 7.

Sibelius,

Valse Triste

Solos

A. F. Pickernell '14, Tenor

H. W. Frost '14, Accompanist

Gluck, Overture to "Iphigenia in Aulis."

Humperdinck, Act II, scene 2, from "Haensel und Gretel."

Season Most Satisfactory.

This concert marks the close of a very successful season. It is the policy of the Pierian to give a series of popular concerts the first part of the season and to devote the remainder to the best in orchestral music. Popular concerts have been given this year at the following places: Union, Boston Architectural Club, Plymouth, Wellesley, Dedham, Parker Memorial, Woburn, Harvard Club, Quincy, Colonial Club, and the Boston City Club.

Next year's conductor will be elected at the annual dinner in May. The Pierian will play at its annual concert next year, a composition by an undergraduate, provided a suitable one is submitted in time.