WHERE TRACK FELL SHORT IN 1913

The dearth of candidates for the University and Freshman track teams is the more unfortunate when the reasons which led to the team's defeat by Yale last year are considered. The main one was Harvard's failure to take a sufficient number of second and third places; that is, the team was not well-balanced. This deficiency seems destined to be the case again this year. But there is a simple remedy--more candidates. In no other sport is it so possible as it is in track to develop mediocre men into fairly good men, by a course of hard work with expert coaching; and this fact should encourage those who have any inclination or ability to come to the aid of the track teams at this juncture. A further reason for turning out a well-balanced team this year is the new ruling for the Intercollegiates--that the first five places shall count instead of the first four; this offers a new and important chance for the second and third string men. A real opportunity for athletic service together with an excellent chance of reward await any new candidates for the track team, and particularly candidates for the field events.