MOVEMENT FOR WORLD PEACE

SUBSTITUTION OF LAW FOR WAR SHOULD BRING ABOUT FINAL SOLUTION.

In his lecture on "The Federation of the World" last night, Hamilton Holt laid especial emphasis on two points; namely, that the problem of dealing with world-wide affairs calls for a more efficient code of international law, and that the movement for universal peace is one that is progressing, slowly indeed, but irresistibly.

In outlining the history of the movement, Mr. Holt made a graphic description of the events which have led up to present conditions, showing how the United States has played a leading role in all the important steps taken. To an American, Frederick W. Holes, he gives the credit of having made "the most enduring single triumph of the nineteenth century," that of making possible the first Hague Conference by inducing reluctant Germany to participate. Progress has been made in arousing international interest, for whereas only 26 nations took part in the first Conference, the entire world was represented at the second, and the progress in legislation is well evidenced by the fact that the early reluctance of nations to enter into any binding treaties, was later changed to universal announcements in favor of compulsory arbitration. Interest has been stimulated in the countries themselves, for hundreds of peace societies, international magazines and cosmopolitan clubs have sprung up, and the spirit of international diffusion has even been carried to the wide exchange of university professors.

All plans and ideal projects can, however, only come about when the world faces the weakness of its code of international law, and remedies it. Nations that have the best political organization, have the most law; where there is the most law, there is the most justice, and where there is the most justice, there is the most peace. The world is facing somewhat of the same problem as did the 13 original American states, and improved communications and transportation have, by annihilating time and space, made our present opportunity greater than that of 1776. Men must face the alternative of law or war. It is a change that is far off-few will see it--but it is coming with the sure tread of an epoch in world history, and it is the duty of all citizens, all states and all nations to so help in its hastening that the time will soon come when the world will enjoy that much to be desired condition of "peace on earth, and good will to all men."